Marantz UD8004 Universal SACD/CD/DVD-A/DVD/Blu-Ray Player
Tested and working flawlessly here on our bench and listening room.
$2,300 original MSRP when new.
More from Marantz:
Marantz UD8004 Universal Reference Level Player
The Marantz UD8004 is an audiophile’s dream player: a true reference-quality Blu-ray universal player that plays all audio and video formats exceptionally well, is extremely well-built, reliable, affordable, and does a fantastic job on two-channel sources like SACD and CD.
The UD8004 is a twenty-pound, massively overbuilt player built in Japan with a solid chassis, a non-resonant faceplate, and double layered bottom plate for the ultimate in vibration control.
Check the internal components inside this player, note the awesome analog section and high-current HDAMs for ultimate sonic control.
The UD8004 is an audiophile-approved Blu-ray Universal Player and this is the deal of the season!
• The Best Blu-ray/DVD Performance from Any $2k-$3k Player
• Plays Blu-ray, DVD, SACD, DVD-A, CD, and More
• Designed and Built in Japan – 3 Year Full Warranty
• Custom Marantz Transport Mechanism from Reference Series
• Video Circuits Taken from the $6000 UD-9004
• Incredible Anchor Bay DVD Upsampling to 1080p
The UD8004 features multichannel HDAM-SA2 analog output stages - Marantz’s proprietary high-current analog output section - the UD8004 creates a large, smooth, and stable sonic image. Of course, this is a Marantz, so all the video and surround decoding features are state-of-the-art. But it’s the way the UD8004 plays music that will keep you listening for hours on end.
The UD8004 Universal Disc Player, based on the circuits in their $6000 UD9004, is a true reference-level playback device that plays every single 5" disc format ever manufactured! The chassis’s two-layer bottom plate and heavy top-cover hide a triple-sectioned chassis that isolates the power supply, the microprocessor array, and the sensitive analog circuitry. Notice the rear panel’s audio and video analog outputs. They’re all machined heavy-duty chassis-mount connectors. These connectors let you use virtually any cable and switch interconnects without ripping inexpensive connectors from a printed circuit board.
The subtly contoured front panel, an ergonomic combination of extruded aluminum and fiberglass composite adds shielding,additional rigidity, and a sophisticated look. At just a hair more than 4.3” high, it honors the Marantz tradition of exceptional industrial design.
Notice the center disc drawer. Behind the vibration-absorbing polymeric alloy disc tray sits a new and exclusive transport mechanism that provides exceptional rigidity and rotational accuracy – a prime requirement when you consider that Blu-ray discs rotate 30 times faster than conventional CDs!
"What's clear is that the UD8004 is transparently, almost transcendentally superior to any cheaper Blu-ray player you might care to mention. The UD8004 delivers a thrilling picture: every aspect, from colour vibrancy and black-level uniformity to overall clarity and detail, is superb. But if that's impressive, the Marantz's sound is just wondrous. It's here that it asserts its clear superiority over both budget and mid-priced kit: whether you're revelling in the power of a DTS-HD surround mix or captivated by the emotional realism of a stereo SACD, the UD8004's clarity and power will stun!"
- What HiFi - Sound and Vision, 2010 Award Winner
The list of supported formats includes Blu-ray (BD Video Profile 2 with Bonus View support), BD-R/RE, DVD-V & DVD-A, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, SACD (stereo and multi-channel), CD, and CD-R/RW. Let’s not forget MP3, WMA, JPEG, DivX version 6, Kodak picture CDs, or AVCHD files either. A front panel SD card slot reads SD & SDHC cards as well as miniSD and microSD cards with an adaptor for easy enjoyment of JPEG photos and MP3/WMA music files, too.
But the most important point is the UD8004’s extraordinary reproduction quality of both audio and video.
Audio circuitry, Marantz’s strength for well over half a century, features an on-board 32-bit floating point SHARC processor for accurate decoding of the latest high-bit digital formats. Each channel benefits from a 192 kHz/24-bit D/A converter. And the analog stages themselves? They’re on three separate circuit boards – one for stereo, the other two devoted to multi-channel sources. Each benefits from Marantz’s proprietary HDAM-SA2 modules instead of more common lower performance op-amps. These Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules boast extraordinary slew rate and vanishingly low noise. And each output features closed-loop current feedback topology that,when combined with HDAM’s advantages, presents the most detailed yet smoothest sound you’ll find in virtually any A/V source component. The audio circuits are tuned with custom capacitors and draw their operating current from a dedicated EI-core transformer for maximum isolation.
Video circuits are equally impressive and feature an Anchor Bay Video Reference processor. In addition to providing film-quality video from Blu-ray discs, this powerhouse upscales DVDs with both motion-adaptive and edge-adaptive technology that individually scales both horizontally and vertically to display images at 1080p resolution (through the HDMI output) at either 60 or a film-friendly 24 frames per second. MPEG noise reduction and the elimination of artifact-producing 3:2 pull down mean you’ll enjoy startling image quality regardless of the disc you choose. Even analog video takes a giant step forward with the 297 MHz/12-bit video A/D converters for Component, S-, and Composite video viewing.
HDMI 1.3 capability gives you full access to 36-bit Deep Color video when available. Auto Lip Synch removes the distraction some people experience by making sure that image and sound are in step with each other.
Yes, the UD8004 Universal Disc Player makes a singular case for upgrading your audio and video capabilities with a single component. Whether used as a stand-alone player or integrated seamlessly into the most sophisticated custom-installed home theater system, the Glo-key remote controller lets you access functions even in low-light situations. A discrete command set for On and Off, RC-5 remote control terminals, an IR flasher input/output, and an RS-232C connection lets you choose whichever degree of operational sophistication you need. The UD8004. Extremely capable. Unmistakably Marantz.
• BD-Profile2.0(BD-Live), BD-Java, BONUS VIEW support
• Plays SA-CD(Stereo/Multi), BD-Video/-ROM/-RE/BD-R, DVD-Audio/-Video/-R/-R DL/-RW/+R/+R DL/+RW, CD-R/RW and MP3/WMA/DivX(ver.6)/AVCHD/JPEG/Kodak Picture CD discs
• Sophisticated new aluminum/reinforced resin front panel
• Double Layered Top Cover & Bottom Plate
• EI Transformer for Audio Circuits
• Total 3 boards, Marantz HDAM-SA2 current feedback analog audio circuits w/ Custom audio parts
• Machine milled Stereo analog audio outputs (RCA) and Gold Plated Gold Plated 7.1ch outputs
• 192 kHz/24bit Burr-Brown High-end Audio DAC PCM1796 for all channels
• Analog Devices SHARC 32bit DSP for HD audio Decoding
• Dolby True HD, dts-HD MA decoder
• Anchor Bay VRS I/P Converter & Scaler ABT2015
• Support 24fps, 36-bit Deep Color
• 297MHz/12bit Analog Devices Video DAC ADV7340
• Vertical Stretch function for 2.35:1 aspect movie
• 1080p, 1080i, 720p 480p scaled output
• SD Card slot for playback MP-3/WMA/JPEG etc.
• Firmware update capability via Internet
• Display Dimmer, Source Direct, Pure Direct Mode
• Audio Delay (up to 200msec.)
• Component, S-Video and Composite Analog Video outputs
• Digital audio outputs (Optical/Coaxial)
• RS-232C for System control
• Marantz D-Bus(RC-5) In/Out Control Terminals
• Flasher In/Out
• Discrete power on/off commands
• Detachable Power Cord
• Luminous Key Remote
• Region Codes: BD-Video: A, DVD: 1
Please click here for detailed specifics regarding our specialized packing process that separates us from the rest.
Yes - Power