Magnum Dynalab MD-100T - Triode Tube Analog FM Tuner
At this price point, you'd be hard pressed to find a better tuner.
Sure a Tandberg 3001 or a McIntosh MR78 are valid adversaries, but restored versions of either put them in another price category.
If you don't need presets, this would be a great choice.
I tend to use just one local Jazz station so I've never really had a need for presets.
This MD-100T is good to go, working very very well, tested and auditioned in our listening room.
More from Magnum Dynalab:
The third addition to Magnum Dynalab's line of Triode Tube FM ANALOG tuners, the MD 100T is built with the same precision aligned R.F. section found in the highly capable MD 100. In addition, we have added matched Philips military grade 6922 tubes in the amplification stage, providing audio realism for those customers with a special partiality for the tube experience. The MD 100T offers not only a new reference in terms of sonic realism, but also yields the utmost in flexibility through an optional Precision Analog Remote System, and standard balanced audio outputs.
As in all Magnum Dynalab analog tuners, all design and building of the MD 100T's highly adept 4-stage RF front end is done in-house. This unit is sure to extract the most intricate signals from amongst the milieu of FM congestion that abounds in today's urban markets. Additional support is given through a custom Auto Blend RF circuit, which constantly monitors and varies your stereo separation insuring optimal 'stereo quieting' during your listening sessions.
Features & Benefits:
- In-House Design of 4-stage Tuning Front End - A legacy of all Magnum Dynalab analog tuners, our technicians manage and control all elements of this critical component, ensuring optimum station separation without affecting stereo separation.
- Matched Philips military grade 6922 tubes in the amplification stage - providing the distinct audio inflection heard only with tube technology
- .093 thick printed circuit board - minimizes any residual vibration in the chassis Kimber Hyper-Pure copper wiring in the audio path -- provides a clean, uncolored path for the signal
- Dual, keyed automatic gain control (AGC) - Monitors and maintains program signal level and clarity, along with providing a dramatic reduction in interference from strong, local stations.
- BW 1/ BW 2 bandwidth control - Switchable to effectively control annoying sideband interference.
- Mute circuit - Noise-activated with manual defeat switch.
- Auto Blend RF circuit - automatically monitors and varies stereo separation insuring optimal 'stereo quieting' during your listening sessions.
- Stereo/Mono Mode - User switchable.
- Digital frequency display - Independent frequency counter derives input from tuner's local oscillator section and displays in soft, amber 0.5' LED numerals.
- Balanced Outputs - allows Felxibility in system design
- Precision Flywheel Tuning - gives accuracy and ease of tuning.
- Specialty Capacitors in Analog Section - insures total frequency response.
- WBT unbalanced RCA output connectors - Low tolerance connector made of highly ductile 'OFC' copper, 24 carat gold-plated; insures a solid contact for interconnects.
Usable sensitivity (mono): 10.3dBf
Usable sensitivity (stereo): 11.2dBf
50dB quieting sensitivity (mono): 13.2dBf
50dB quieting sensitivity (stereo): 34.0dBf
Alternate channel attenuation (wide): >60dB
Alternate channel attenuation (narrow): >80dB
Adjacent channel attenuation (wide): 12.0dB
Adjacent channel attenuation (narrow): 30.0dB
Audio frequency response (+/- 1dB): 10Hz - 17.5Khz
THD (mono): 0.10%
THD (stereo): 0.18%
Capture ratio: >1.5dB
AM suppression: -70.0dB
Image rejection: 75.0dB
Signal to Noise ratio (SNR): 80.0dB
Stereo separation: 50.0dB
SCA rejection: -75.0dB
19 & 38 KHz rejection: -70.0dB
Audio outputs (@100% modulation): 1 volt
Balanced audio outputs: 600 ohms
Power required: 120Vac *@ 20 watts (max)
Dimensions (O.A.): 19" (w) x 13" (d) x 4.25" (h)
Weight: 15 lbs
Filament Current (max) 330 mA (min) 270 mA
Anode Current (1): (max) 1.07 mA (min) 0.92
Anode Current (2): (max) 1.07 mA (min) 0.92
Total Harmonic Distortion: 1.8 %
The SkyFi Testing Process for Tuners:
We start with a visual inspection of all internal components to make sure there are no signs of stress or aging. Capacitors are checked for telltale sings of bulging or leaking, resistors are checked for signs of overheating or cracking, and tubes are inspected for signs of stress overheating or cracking.
Then the tuner is thoroughly tested in our lab utilizing our professional Sencore SG80 FM Generator, which allows us to generate a reference FM signal of any frequency and amplitude, and then measure the resulting tuner output on our Sencore PR81 or oscilloscope.
Please click here for detailed specifics regarding our specialized packing process that separates us from the rest.
Yes - Power