Parasound HCA-1206 High Current THX Certified 6/5/4 Channel Amplifier - Designed By John Curl
"John Curl brings his art to home theater with this award-winning amplifier.
With over 1200 total watts on 6 channels, this is one of the most powerful and popular THX-certified amplifiers in the world."
Super powerful THX certified amplifier from Parasound that received a full service here at SkyFi, and is now ready for action.
Super versatile and configurable for 6/5/4 channel operation, ideal if your home theater setup keeps changing.
Also offers a multi-zone stereo mode to "...reproduce a single stereo source through up to three pairs of stereo channels" per the owner's manual linked below.
In perfect working condition with some light scratches but nothing noticeable.
• Designed by John Curl
• THX certified by Lucasfilm Ltd.
• Massive Encapsulated 1.7 kVA Power Transformer with Separate Windings for Each Channel
• 120,000 uF Computer-grade Capacitors in the Power Supply
• Multiple Polystyrene Film Bypass Capacitors to Smooth the Power Supply
• Independent Power Supplies for Each Channel
• Separate Regulated Power Supplies for Driver Stage
• Cascode Class A Input Stages with Matched Complementary J-FET Pairs
• Hand Picked Complementary MOSFETS in High Voltage Driver Stages
• 12 Complementary Pairs of Beta-Matched 50 MHz, 15 Ampere Output Transistors
• Output Transistors Direct-Coupled to Speakers Without LRC Networks
• Linear Tracking, Instantaneous Acting DC Servos
• High-Bias Class A/AB Operation
• Gold-Plated Metal Structure RCA Input Jacks
• Multiple Temperature Sensors and Silver-Cadmium Relay Protection
• FR-4 Glass Epoxy Circuit Boards, Double-Sided for Precision
• Custom Designed Audiophile-Grade AC Power Cord
• Configurable for Multi-Channel Home Theater, Multi-Zone Stereo, Biamp or Triamp Operation
These amps are known to suffer from main power supply filter capacitor failure over time due to long term continuous operation in home theater service.
This unit underwent a power supply overhaul. All main power supply filter capacitors were replaced with authentic long life electrolytics. Heat stressed components on the power supply board were replaced and PCB traces touched up.
The Idle current for all channels was set to optimal, and all heat sinks were confirmed to idle at the correct temperature based on service manual specs.
Click here for a PDF copy of the Parasound HCA-1206 Owner's Manual
Our Testing Process for Amplifiers (Solid State) at SkyFi:
We start with a visual inspection of all internal components to make sure there are no signs of stress or aging. Capacitors are checked for telltale sings of bulging or leaking, resistors are checked for signs of overheating or cracking, and transistors are checked for signs of stress or damage.
We then power up the unit carefully and run a simple 1k sine wave while monitoring the output on an oscilloscope for signs of distortion or noise. Finally, we run the amplifier to its full rated power into the appropriate resistive load provided by our Sencore amplifier tester. If there is an issue, it will usually be noticeable at this point. If everything reads clean, we will often test for THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) measured by our Keithley distortion meter, and compare it against the original manufacturers specifications. The amplifier then remains powered on to "burn in" on our test bench for a few hours to make sure there are no heat related issues. If there are balanced inputs available they will be also be tested.
Final testing involves pushing actual music thorough the amplifier. We've learned over time that some issues are only noticeable to a trained ear while listening to familiar source material. Our test bench has reference vintage Kef speakers that we're very familiar with which quickly reveal any discrepancies. Some amplifiers will then move into our listening room where they are tested with our in-house reference speakers of choice.
Continuous Power Output
> 135 watts RMS x 6, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω , all channels driven
> 200 watts RMS x 6, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 Ω , all channels driven
Continuous Power Output - Bridged
> 350 watts RMS, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 , each bridged channel, 3+4, 5+6
30 amperes peak, per channel
> 130 V/μsecond
12 Hz - 120 kHz, +0/-3 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion
< 0.07% at full power
< 0.03% typical levels
> 2 dB
> 75 dB at 1 kHz
> 56 dB at 20 kHz
50 kΩ per channel, without looping inputs 1/2 to Ch. 3/4 or Ch. 5/6
25 kΩ per channel, if looping inputs 1/2 to either Ch. 3/4 or Ch. 5/6
17 kΩ per channel, if looping inputs 1/2 to both Ch. 3/4 and Ch. 5/6
1.0 V THX Reference Level
> 118 dB, input shorted, IHF A-weighted
> 800 at 20 Hz
19" wide x 7" high x 18.5" deep (7 5/8" high with feet)
71 lbs. net
Please click here for detailed specifics regarding our specialized packing process that separates us from the rest.
Yes - Power