dCS Vivaldi DAC - Hi-Res Audio, DSD, MQA
Flagship DAC from dCS and about the best DAC on the market.
Used for around 30 hrs and presenting like new.
Comes with all the manuals and remote.
Upgradeable to Apex for additional $9k. Current MSRP $46,500 (a $10k Savings)
More from dCS:
The digital heart of the Vivaldi system, our world-famous DAC decodes audio with astonishing focus.
- Utilises the latest generation dCS Digital Processing Platform for state-of-the-art measured performance and unrivalled fidelity
- Designed for maximum flexibility by accepting audio data from a variety of digital sources
- Flexible output configuration can be optimised in systems with or without preamplifiers
- Comprehensive clocking architecture plus an auto-clocking mode used in the Vivaldi range improves ease-of-use and minimises jitter
- USB interface allows easy connection to a computer, accepting PCM data at up to 24/384 and DoP (DSD/64 or DSD/128 over PCM)
- The interface runs in asynchronous USB mode, making the DAC immune to jitter from noisy computer master clocks
- Improved power supplies give lower running temperature and superior tolerance to AC supply variations
- Multi-stage regulation ensures sensitive analogue circuitry is unaffected by digital interference
- Separate power circuits for the digital and analogue sections further enhance the purity of the power supply
- Aerospace-grade machined aluminium chassis fitted with tuned acoustic damping panels reduces magnetic effects and vibration
- Features a full MQA™ decoder. This MQA™ implementation is unique, as it is the first opportunity to enable a DAC which, by providing exact rendering to beyond 16x (768 kHz), matches the desired temporal response with very low modulation noise
With total precision and composure, the Vivaldi unravels even the most complex recordings with ease, projecting a sound that feels utterly natural and beautifully complete. Under its delicate hand and invisible touch, music comes alive, with each note unfolding to reveal a panoramic view of a recording or mix.
From the smallest inflections to the swiftest shifts in tempo and tone, it captures it all with a sense of perfect rhythm and flow. With its wide and far-reaching gaze, it uncovers not just the fine details in a recording, but the silences and spaces in between - the tension, drama and emotions that lie beneath.
Crafted for the purest musical expression, the Vivaldi is designed to disappear, leaving you absorbed in sound and immersed in the world that an artist creates. Its pioneering architecture builds on three decades of innovation to present our most ambitious system yet: a four-chassis design with almost limitless potential.
With the Vivaldi’s launch, we devised a blueprint for a new generation of digital playback systems. We reimagined our core technologies - including our Ring DAC™ system, clocking architecture and the dCS Digital Processing Platform - and developed a new technical DNA that has shaped the creation of each dCS product since.
Unrivalled in its sonic and technical abilities, the Vivaldi has earned global acclaim for its ground-breaking design and captivating sound. A product of visionary thinking, and fearless engineering, it remains the most revealing and lowest distortion playback system available - and its design continues to evolve.
With the Vivaldi APEX, we’ve once again redefined state-of-the-art in digital audio. We’ve further enhanced the Vivaldi DAC with the addition of our next generation Ring DAC APEX™ hardware. This major upgrade allows us to take the Vivaldi’s world-leading performance to a new level - resulting in an even more immersive musical experience.
Kimber Kable - RCA Interconnects - Better
Kimber Kable - RCA Interconnects - Best
Kimber Kable - BALANCED XLR Connectors - Better
Kimber Kable - BALANCED XLR Connectors - Best
Kimber Kable - Select Series Reference USB Cable
Kimber Kable - Digital AES/EBU (XLR Connector) Interconnect
Kimber Kable - Coaxial Digital Interconnect
Kimber Kable - Power Cords - Better
Kimber Kable - Power Cords - Best
The SkyFi Testing Process for DACs:
We start with a visual inspection of all internal components to make sure that there are no signs of heat stress or damage. Capacitors are checked for telltale signs of predictive failure including bulging, shrunken wrappers, or physical leakage. We also inspect resistors and other passive components for signs of overheating.
After the visual inspection we connect the DAC’s RCA outputs to our Sencore PA81 Power Analyzer which simulates a real world input impedance and allows us to monitor the output on an oscilloscope. We are equipped to test optical, coaxial, and USB inputs at Redbook CD Quality. We start with a test signal to verify signal lock and proper output on both channels. If the DAC has balanced outputs these are also tested at this time. If the DAC has multiple Optical and Coaxial inputs they are all checked for proper lock. USB inputs are tested with a Macbook Pro.
After proper function is verified, we set the DAC up for a listening test to evaluate general audio reproduction quality and monitor for clicks, pops, or any other audible signs of issues related to dropped signal lock or failing audio output stages. We often connect DACs under evaluation to our long term test rig for a long test stint to verify stability under real world operating conditions.
Yes - Power Only
Physical Condition (Info Here)
8 / 10
10 / 10
• Type: Digital-to-Analogue Converter.
• Color: Silver or Black.
• Dimensions (WxDxH): 444mm/17.5” x 435mm/17.2” x 151mm/6.0” high. Allow extra depth for cable connectors. Allow space for air flow around the unit.
• Weight: 16.2kg/35.65lbs.
• Converter Type: dCS proprietary Ring DAC tpology.
• Analogue Outputs: Output Levels: 2V rms or 6V rms on all outputs for a full-scale input, set in the menu. Balanced Outputs: 1 stereo pair on 2x 3-pin male XLR connectors (pin 2 = hot, pin 3 = cold). These outputs are electronically balanced and floating, the signal balance ratio at 1kHz is better than 40dB, Output impedance is 3?, maximum load is 600? (a 10k?-100k? load is recommended). Unbalanced Outputs: 1 stereo pair on 2x RCA Phono connectors. Output impedance is 52?, maximum load is 600? (a 10k?-100k? load is recommended).
• Digital Inputs: USB 2.0 interface on a type B connector. Operates in asynchronous mode, will accept PCM data up to 24 bits at 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384 kS/s and DOP (DSD over PCM). Can operate in USB Audio Class 1 or Class 2 mode. 4x AES/EBU on 3-pin female XLR connectors. Each will accept up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192kS/s & DOP OR 2x Dual AES pairs at 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384kS/s & DOP plus dCS encrypted DSD. 3x SPDIF on 2x RCA Phono and 1x BNC connectors. Each will accept up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192kS/s & DOP. 1x SPDIF optical on a Toslink connector, will accept up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 & 96kS/s. 1x SDIF-2 interface on 2x BNC connectors, will accept up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 & 96kS/s or SDIF-2 DSD (auto-selected). This interface requires a compatible Word Clock input, locked to the data rate.
• Word Clock I/O: 3x Word Clock inputs on 3x BNC connectors, accept standard Word Clock at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 or 192kHz. The data rate can be the same as the clock rate or an exact multiple (0.125x, 0.25x, 0.5x, 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x) of the clock rate. Sensitive to TTL levels. Word Clock output on 1x BNC connector. In Master mode, a TTL-compatible 44.1kHz Word Clock is available. In Universal Master Mode a 38.4kHz Word Clock is available for use with the Vivaldi Upsampler.
• Residual Noise: Better than -113dB0 @ 20Hz-20kHz unweighted (6V Setting).
• L-R crosstalk: Better than -115dB0, 20-20kHz.
• Spurious Responses: Better than -105dB0 @ 20-20kHz.
• Filters: PCM mode: 4 filters give different trade-offs between the Nyquist image rejection and the phase response. 2 extra filters are available at 44.1, 176.4, 192, 352.8 and 384kS/s. DSD mode: 4 filters progressively reduce out-of-audio band noise level (inherent in the 1 bit nature of DSD).
• Software Updates: Loaded from CD-R or via USB interface.
• Local Control: dCS Premium Remote is supplied as standard. RS232 (controlled by a third party device). A dCS-programmed Nevo Q50 is available for the Vivaldi range as an optional extra.
• Power Supply: Factory set for 100, 115, 220 or 230V AC, 49-62Hz.
• Power Consumption: 23 Watts typical/30 Watts maximum.