Ensemble Virtuoso Hybrid Preamp
One of the most unique preamps to come across our lab.
It is a thing of beauty, both inside and out. Swiss Made.
Externally it's finished in polished stainless top with the gold faceplate. The knobs are made out of exotic hardwood which gives it an amazing feel. There is a small window in the front that shows the goings-on of the single tube used in the circuitry.
On the back you’ll find 4 sets of analog inputs and two tape loops. On the front you’ll find the typical controls for source/record, balance and volume. There is also an handy -12db attenuator in case your amp runs loud. Finally the headphone output completes this very well equipped preamp.
Looking at the inside one immediately notices that this is a hand crafted piece of equipment made with the highest quality parts and attention to detail. There is a large oversized toroidal power supply, Alps volume potentiometer, and mil spec switching relay for the inputs. Truly a work of art.
Condition is very respectable. The faceplate and knobs look like new but the highly polished steel top shows some scratches likely from stacking other equipment on top of it. Nothing crazy, but not perfect. Since the top is stainless they could be polished out if this sort of thing bothers you.
I also have an optional Ensemble spiked plinth that could be sold with the unit. Let me know if interested.
This is a very rare and unique piece of audio equipment and well regarded in the community. Don’t miss your chance as they don’t come up often.
The unit was tested and is in working condition.
The Virtuoso is a hybrid line preamplifier.
- Hybrid circuitry (ECC81/12AT7 tubes and bi-polar transistors in shunt-regulated push-pull configuration).
- Class A operation
- Input/tape loop switching controlled by air-tight relays
- Automatic switch-on mute; servo control of DC offset
- 6 line inputs (incl. 2 tape loops and two-way tape to tape dubbing)
- Separate Listen and Record
- Active and Passive Out
- Mono/Stereo switch
- -12dB attenuation switch
- 6.3mm (1/4) socket for headphones
- Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20kHz 0/-0.1dB
- Sensitivity: 200 mV
- Input impedance: 22 kOhms min., 50 kOhms max.
- Output impedance: Active 6 Ohms / Passsive 22 kOhms
- Gain: 12dB (0 dB attenuation)
- S/N Ratio: 89dB (1V)
- THD: 0.01% (1V / 30Hz to 20kHz)
- Dimensions: 440 x 320 x 95 mm (WDH)
- Weight (gross): 10 kg (22 lbs)
- Weight (net): 8 kg (17.6 lbs)